Why I Love Kevin Bacon… sizzle sizzle
Because I love Kevin Bacon, and because some of his best movies have been on television recently, I decided to dedicate the beginning of summer to one of the hottest men to ever hit Hollywood. Let’s start at the beginning, shall we?
1. Footloose – Do I need to say more? Well, yes, actually I do! This movie is such a classic, not only with its cast and its head-bopping moves, but those clothes! The scene with just the tapping feet is the best – I know that cowboy boots are back in style, but those with leggings??? Wow. And the tight jeans just show all of Kev’s tight butt. Yummmm. My heart sings when Ren teaches Willard how to dance, and my teeth itch when John Lithgow feigns a southern accent. But Kevin remains a heartthrob through and through … and it doesn’t stop there! I would have a crush on any guy who had to crawl into his VW Bug to unlock the passenger car door and then walk around the back to open the door for me to step into. P.S. The soundtrack is priceless and 80s-licious!
2. The River Wild – I grew up watching this movie with my parents because if there were two men on the planet that my mom and I agreed on, it was Kevin Bacon and Pierce Brosnan. Meryl Streep is awesome and her calm and grace perfectly balanced the crazy (and crazy-gorgeous) Kevin. As an adult, I find myself watching this film just to get the goosebumps that his creepy-sexy smile gives me (I’m not sure how my boyfriend E feels about this, so we’ll just leave him out of it).
3. At this point in his career, it is worth mentioning Apollo 13. This is a crucial moment in Kevin’s career because he proved for once and for all that he could hold his own next to some truly incredible actors, and that he could ACT (and still look gorgeous, especially in a blue NASA jumper).
4. Over the last decade, Kev has had more box-office hits, but none got my juices flowing like last year’s X-Men: First Class. He may have had a competitor in the hot department (Michael Fassbender) but harkening back to his River Wild days, Kevin turned up the heat as the man you wanted to hate, but couldn’t stop imagining under your bed sheets.
5. Other reasons why I love Kevin Bacon, besides his almost-40 year acting career, include his fidelity to his wife Kyra Sedgwick (they have been married since 1988!). They have two children, live in Manhattan, support Barack Obama and the separation of church and state – who doesn’t love an opinionated actor who has a stable family life?
6. Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is always a great car ride game and because E and I have been traveling to New Jersey a lot recently (his family lives there and he is the best man for his brother’s upcoming wedding), we have been in desperate need of some entertainment on I-95. Funnily enough, Kev and his wife are 10th cousins …
7. … and moving on! Kevin is multi-talented and part of a band with his brother. I could just about melt listening to his gravely voice set to some guitar twanging.
Holy hottie on a stick.
Image from: http://www.netwitsthinktank.com/social-media/the-secret-to-going-viral-harnessing-the-kevin-bacon-effect.htm