5 Must-Haves for a Weekend Beach Getaway
Based on my love of the ocean and going away for the weekend, I consider myself to be somewhat skilled at preparing for a good beach getaway. I was lucky enough to spend this past Memorial Day weekend in Outer Banks, NC, and I must say I came, I saw, and I got a sick tan. Since I’m now an expert at laying on the beach all day, every day, I’m here to provide a list of the 5 essential things to bring with you to have the perfect beach getaway weekend.
- Sunscreen (I don’t care if you’re olive skinned) – This basically goes without saying, but if you’re going to be spending time in the sun, you need to protect your skin. Even if you’re not someone who burns, the sun can still cause long term damage. And if you are someone who burns easily, it’s equally as important. I didn’t come away from my trip with a tan that would make the Jersey Shore cast jealous because I fried myself for three days straight, I did it because I applied and re-applied several times each day and let my tan slowly develop without having to wait for a ridiculous lobster burn to fade away first. Also, asking a cutie patootie on the beach to do your back is a great way to find a fun beach buddy!
- A good book – By good book, I don’t mean the complete works of Shakespeare. Lounging on the beach is a time for relaxation and peace. Unless deciphering iambic pentameter is relaxing to you, I suggest something lighter and more entertaining. Speaking from experience, your fellow beach goers may distract you from time to time with trips into the water and fun conversation, so bring something you can easily pick up and put down, and that you don’t need a ton of concentration for.
- Lots of beachwear - Think about it, you’re on the beach. There’s lots of sand. That, combined with the fact that the percentage of urine in the ocean water is questionable, means you’re going to get dirty. Make sure to bring more bathing suits than you actually think you’ll wear and an extra sundress or two, because after spending a whole day by the water sweating under the sun and swimming with the fishies, your swimwear will be too unsanitary for you to want to repeat outfits. Everything, and I mean everything, will be covered in sand and sweat, and that’s not a cute look on anyone.
- Speaking of bathing suits – Tan lines, ladies! For the guys this isn’t as important, although it’s never a bad idea to bring a speedo along with your swim trunks, it gives the ladies something extra to ogle. For the girls, I advise bringing a few different styles of bathing suits so that you don’t get the same tan lines every day. My favorite tanning bikini is strapless so I don’t have to worry about which shirt to put on that evening to cover the strips on my chest that are still as pale as my bottom. Okay, TMI…
- Water - Hydration is important! This one also seems obvious, but it’s an easy one to forget about. Being in the sun all day can take a lot out of you and it’s really easy to get dehydrated, especially if you’re also sipping on alcoholic beverages… Try to bring a big bottle of water that you can easily refill a few times throughout the day. Something durable with a tight seal should be safe from the sand and if you keep it in the shade it may stay relatively cool.
Also, of course no vacation is complete without a great playlist, and the difference between Rihanna and Korn can make or break your experience. Pack your iPod with plenty of beach-friendly tunes to zone out to while you’re sunbathing, and some amped up anthems to liven up your hot, summery nights.
So there you have it, my 5 necessities for a successful weekend getaway to the beach. Keep these in mind when traveling this summer and I guarantee you’ll have a great time. Share your must-haves in the comments section if there are things you never go without when taking a quick trip to the shore.
Image from http://www.majesticbeachresort.com/specials/giveaways.php